Vendhaya kuzhambu is one of my most favorite kuzhambu, which is a third generation recipe. I learnt it from my mom, who learnt it from her granny. My son simply loves this so much, that he wants this dish at least once a week. In fact, he eats more than usual when I prepare this dish. All you need are a few simple ingredients to get along with it. Today let us learn how to make Vendhaya kuzhambu. The addition of tamarind lends sour taste to the dish and addition of onions & chilli lends a sweet and spicy taste. The combination of sour and spicy makes it as a perfect accompaniment for rice.
|Recipe type||Main course|
½ kg of Onions
½ teaspoon vendhayam (fenugreek seeds)
Tamarind size of gooseberry
Dry red chillies 8 in numbers
3 teaspoons of cooking oil
Salt to taste
- Soak tamarind in water for 15 minutes (it will be easy to extract the juice)
- In the meantime, heat oil in a pressure cooker, add the vendhayam / Methi seeds
- Saute well till it changes color and add red chillies
- Add finely chopped onions and saute well until they turn translucent
- Add salt at this stage, so the onions will be cooked evenly and quickly
- Now add the tamarind extract
- Add half cup of water and pressure cook for 3 whistles
- Let the pressure settle down and blend it
- Tasty vendhaya kuzhambu is ready!
Tips / variations:
- Make sure the quantity of vendhayam is exactly as mentioned as excess of it will give a bitter taste.
- Blending it with (kalchatti) mud pot is the traditional way as it gives extra taste.
- If electrical hand blender is used, make sure you have chopped the onions finely so that u need not blend it more. As too much of blending takes away the consistency and taste of the dish.
- It can be stored for more than a day if refrigerated.
- Onions are very low in Saturated Fat and Cholesterol and on the other hand, it is also a good source of Dietary Fiber, Vitamin B6 and a very good source of Vitamin C.
- Whereas, Fenugreek seeds are rich in minerals such as iron and zinc. In the vitamin department, it contains folic acid, vitamin B6 and vitamin A & C.
Check for Other recipes-> https://www.knowaroundme.com/blog/category/food-blogs/