Tomato thokku is one of the delicious pickles that we can make at home. You could have tomato thokku with idly, dosa or even just plain bread or plain steamed rice. It is simple and easy to make pickle that is delicious. Ripe tomatoes that are cooked down with oil and spices give a tangy and heavenly taste. I bet this will be a great treat for spicy lovers.
Pickle/ side dish for rice
1 kg Tomatoes
100 g gingerly oil
1 teaspoon of mustard
1 teaspoon of fenugreek
20 dry red chillies
Tamarind gooseberry size
1 teaspoon of asafoetida powder
A pinch of turmeric powder
- Wash and cut the tomatoes. Strain the tomatoes from the juice.
- Add salt, a pinch of turmeric powder and tamarind gooseberry size to the juice.
- Now keep the strained tomatoes and the juice in sunlight for at least 1 day.
- Grind the tomatoes with the juice along with the tamarind.
- Heat the sesame oil in a kadai. Add 1 teaspoon of mustard seeds.
- Let it splutter. Add the grinded tomato mixture and cook it well.
- Roast the red chillies, fenugreek seeds and grind them with asafoetida powder.
- Add the grinded powder to the cooked tomatoes and mix it well.
- Let it be cooked till the oil settles on the top.
- Keep the pickle in an airtight container.
Spicy and tangy Tomato Pickle is ready!
Tips / variations:
- You can also avoid keeping it in sunlight and do it directly.
- This step is done to reduce the cooking time and doing this consumes less amount of oil.
- If crystal asafoetida is used, roast them in oil before grinding.
- Keep in an airtight container and store in the refrigerator for up to 1 month.
- Make sure sufficient amount of salt and oil is added.
- Tomatoes are a good source of vitamins C, A & K and potassium.
- It is low in sodium and cholesterol, thus good for high blood pressure and heart patients.
- It also helps as a blood purifier.
- Asafoetida powder helps reduce bloating and other stomach problems.
Check for Other recipes-> South Indian Side Dishes-Chutney