More / Buttermilk kuzhambu is one of the famous dishes in south Indian menu. It comes under main course category. The best way of serving More / Buttermilk kuzhambu is to be served with hot steamed rice and potatoes fry. Generally, the preparation method of this dish differs from each state.
This dish is made with slightly sour buttermilk along with few other ingredients which differs from state to state. Mostly, it is a semi gravy dish traditionally made with few vegetables like okra or white pumpkin or ash gourd.
|Recipe type||Main course|
1 inch of ginger
5 to 6 pieces of coconut
1 teaspoon raw rice
5 green chillies
1 teaspoon of coriander seeds
3 or 4 shallots
1 teaspoon toor dal
4 cloves of garlic
1 teaspoon mustard
½ teaspoon fenugreek seeds
1 teaspoon urad dal
3 dry red chillies
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
3 dry red chillies
2 teaspoons of coconut oil
½ teaspoon of asafoetida powder
Salt to taste
- Soak the raw rice, coriander seeds and toor dal in water for 10min.
- Meanwhile, take the butter milk with a pinch of turmeric powder and salt.
- Grind the soaked items along with coconut, green chillies, garlic, ginger and shallots into a coarse paste.
- Now add the grinded paste to the buttermilk and bring it to boil on low flame.
- Add some water according to maintain the consistency.
- Stir it well and allow it to boil for 5 minutes.
- Make tadka with mustard, urad dal, fenugreek seeds, cumin seeds, red chillies, asafoetida powder and curry leaves in coconut oil.
Tasty and healthy more kuzhambu is ready!
Tips / variations:
- If you like to add any vegetables, cook them separately in a pan with some salt. Once they are cooked well, add it to the buttermilk and follow the same procedure.
- Moreover, if crystal asafoetida is used, roast them in oil before grinding.
- Usually, more kuzhambu will taste better the next day than the day it is prepared. This is because; the more the fenugreek seeds are soaked in buttermilk more will be its taste.
- Probably, it can be stored for more than 3 days if refrigerated.
- For longer life using coconut can be avoided.
- Butter milk is very rich in calcium and Vitamin C and on the other hand has very low cholesterol.
- Whereas, Coconut oil is good for Blood Sugar and Diabetes.
Check for Other recipes-> https://www.knowaroundme.com/blog/category/food-blogs/